Details for Wheelock School House

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5507022613

Data

Marker Number 22613
Atlas Number 5507022613
Marker Title Wheelock School House
Index Entry Wheelock School House
Address 10691 Cavitt St.
City Wheelock
County Robertson
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 749447
UTM Northing 3420645
Subject Codes schools; educational topics; communities; design and construction
Marker Year 2019
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark Yes
Marker Location Wheelock School House, SE side Cavitt Street 0.1 mi. SW of Barzizza Street
Private Property No
Marker Condition In Situ
Marker Size 18" x 28"
Marker Text Education in the community dates to the Wheelock Academy in the 1840s. In 1907, Thomas Wade Hedrick and his son, William Love Hedrick, bought 220 acres and set aside 2.4 acres for a new school site. No records of county financing have been found, so it was likely financed by the community. The unusually large rural school built in 1908 is a two-story frame building with dormers, clapboard siding and double-hung windows. There are four classrooms on the first floor and a stage and auditorium encompassing the entire second floor. In the 1930s, five teachers served an enrollment of 200 pupils. Classes continued until the 1949-50 school year. Students then transferred to Franklin, and the Wheelock school became a community center. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2019

Location Map

View this record in full map (opens in new tab/window)