Details for Terrell Heights

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5507018807

Data

Marker Number 18807
Atlas Number 5507018807
Marker Title Terrell Heights
Index Entry Terrell Heights
Address
City Fort Worth
County Tarrant
UTM Zone
UTM Easting
UTM Northing
Subject Codes
Marker Year 2017
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark No
Marker Location SE corner of Terrell Avenue and Evans Avenue
Private Property No
Marker Condition In Situ
Marker Size 27" x 42"
Marker Text Platted in the late 1880s and developed around the city's streetcar systems in the early 1900s, the near southeast neighborhood known as Terrell Heights became the premier neighborhood for many African Americans. Virtually built out by 1951, the majority of the neighborhood was devoted to single-family development with a few apartment buildings and duplexes spread throughout the area. Many of the first occupants in this area were encouraged to purchase lots and build their own homes by local African American banker, William Madison "Gooseneck Bill" McDonald. Himself a resident of the neighborhood since circa 1911, McDonald bought lots in this area and sold them to African Americans. He then offered to finance the building of residences. Those who followed McDonald into the area included doctors, dentists, nurses, educators, religious leaders and laborers. Fellow resident Reverend A.W. Pryor was pastor of Mount Zion Baptist Church (1924-1949). Dr. George D. Flemmings was a dentist and president of the Fort Worth-Tarrant County branch of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP). He was president circa 1937-1975 during the desegregation clashes in Fort Worth and assisted other nearby communities. Mrs. Lucille Smith was the first African American woman to be a member of the Fort Worth Chamber of Commerce. Social institutions were formed with the neighborhood's best interests at heart as well as several commercial establishments and churches. The first theater in Fort Worth to be built specifically for African Americans, the Grand Theater, opened in 1938 with the newest and best equipment. Though change has occurred through the years, the neighborhood's families have established a tight-knit community bound together by a common history. (2017)

Location Map

View this record in full map (opens in new tab/window)