Details for Zion Lutheran Church

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5507018614

Data

Marker Number 18614
Atlas Number 5507018614
Marker Title Zion Lutheran Church
Index Entry Zion Lutheran Church
Address 3606 Beauchamp
City Houston
County Harris
UTM Zone
UTM Easting
UTM Northing
Subject Codes churches; Lutheran denomination
Marker Year 2017
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark No
Marker Location East of Redan Street and west of Pecore
Private Property No
Marker Condition In Situ
Marker Size 27" x 42" with post
Marker Text Prior to 1914, Houston only had two Lutheran congregations, both downtown in this sprawling city. The mission board of the Evangelical Lutheran Synod of Iowa recognized the opportunity to establish congregations in Houston’s suburbs. In May 1914, the reverend Hans F. Ander was sent to Houston by the mission board. By December 1914, the Zion’s Evangelical Lutheran Church was organized with sixteen charter members from the community of Woodland Heights. In February 1915, the members purchased a lot at the corner of Pecore and Beauchamp to build their church home. Over the several decades and under the leadership of Reverend Ander, Reverend Luther M. Schliesser and reverend George Reck, the church had a huge impact on the area as membership grew to 1,600 by 1950. In 1987, the church’s name was changed to Zion Lutheran Church. Through missions and financial assistance, Zion helped numerous congregations in and around Houston and the surrounding areas. From the beginning, the church helped organize mission Lutheran churches in the area, including Saint Paul’s Lutheran (1915), North Side Lutheran (1917), Park Place Lutheran (1937), Faith American Lutheran (1947) and Advent Lutheran (1961). Soon after founding, a group of women formed the Ladies’ Aid, an organization dedicated to serving the Woodland Heights Community. Similarly, a men’s group formed in 1932. Over the years, the church supported a mother’s day out program, a preschool, daycare, food pantry, family counseling and support, youth choir, seminary scholarships and much more that contributed to the congregation’s commitment to service and Harris County. (2017)

Location Map

View this record in full map (opens in new tab/window)