Details for Dallas County Medical Society Alliance Foundation

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5507018507

Data

Marker Number 18507
Atlas Number 5507018507
Marker Title Dallas County Medical Society Alliance Foundation
Index Entry Dallas County Medical Society Alliance Foundation
Address 5500 Swiss Avenue
City Dallas
County Dallas
UTM Zone
UTM Easting
UTM Northing
Subject Codes women's clubs; medical topics and physicians
Marker Year 2016
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark No
Marker Location marker reported damaged 8.27.2020
Private Property No
Marker Condition Damaged
Marker Size 27" x 42" with post
Marker Text On May 4, 1917, a group of 17 doctors’ wives met to discuss a proposal by Mrs. John O. McReynolds to form a woman’s auxiliary to the Dallas County Medical Society – the first group of its kind in the country. With the nation’s entry into WWI and increasing needs of the Red cross, Mrs. McReynolds saw that there were many opportunities for year-round volunteering including promoting better hygiene, nutrition and home safety. Their work inspired the formation of auxiliaries in McLennan and Bexar counties that same year. The three counties met on May 15, 1918, to form an auxiliary to the Texas Medical Association, with Mrs. Edward H. Cary of Dallas serving as the first president. When the American Medical Association met on May 24, 1922, Dr. Edward H. Cary proposed a resolution to form the woman’s auxiliary to the AMA, which was approved. Mrs. McReynolds was elected President of the national auxiliary in 1927. The Dallas County Auxiliary focused on children and improvements to medical facilities in the area. A cottage was built at Savage Lake and donated to the Salvation Army for housing underprivileged children during the summer. Throughout the fifties, the auxiliary’s efforts went to community health and education. In 1954, in response to the nursing shortage, the Edith Cavell Nursing Scholarship Fund was established. In 1973, the national organization revised its bylaws to allow the membership of male spouses. In November 1974, the family of Rena Munger and George N. Aldredge finalized the donation of Aldredge House, built in 1917, to the auxiliary. In 2003, the local organization’s name was changed to the Dallas County Medical Society Alliance Foundation.

Location Map

View this record in full map (opens in new tab/window)