Details for Glen Flora

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5507018418

Data

Marker Number 18418
Atlas Number 5507018418
Marker Title Glen Flora
Index Entry Glen Flora
Address 126 Bridge St.
City Glen Flora
County Wharton
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 772485
UTM Northing 3249694
Subject Codes colonization; cities and towns
Marker Year 2016
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark No
Marker Location W side Bridge St. between Donovant and Walnut streets, near U.S. post office building
Private Property No
Marker Condition In Situ
Marker Size 27" x 42" with post
Marker Text Located on the east bank of the Colorado River northwest of Wharton, Glen Flora was first settled on one of two land grants awarded to Robert H. Kuykendall, Sr., member of Stephen F. Austin’s old three hundred. Around 1890, C.H. Waterhouse moved to Wharton County and purchased large tracts of land on the west bank of the river. Waterhouse brought in German families from his home state of Pennsylvania, established a large sugar mill, pumping plant and cotton gin. The sugar mill, originally the Waterhouse Rice and Sugar Company, later became the Wharton County Irrigation Company. With construction of the Cane Belt Railroad from Sealy to Wharton, the townsite of Glen Flora was established in 1898 on the east bank of the Colorado River across from Waterhouse holdings, a prime location to access rail lines. The name Glen Flora was suggested by English merchant William Hood, owner of Glen Flora’s largest mercantile store, built in 1900. A post office was established in 1900. In 1902, the Glen Flora Town Company formed with Waterhouse as president; it reorganized in 1906 with G.C. Gifford as president. In 1903, the Cane Belt Railroad sold to the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad who leased to the Gulf, Colorado & Santa Fe in 1905. Rail service ended in 1991 and the rails were removed. With its close proximity to transportation and farmland, Glen Flora became a fast-growing community with a hotel, bank, lumber yard, movie theater, telephone company, two cotton gins and more. Beginning with the 1913 flood and then the potato and cane blight, residents began to move to urban areas. In the 1980s, a large commercial fruit orchard was established that restored the area’s historic ties to agriculture. (2016)

Location Map

View this record in full map (opens in new tab/window)