Details for St. John the Baptizer Catholic Church

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5507018189

Data

Marker Number 18189
Atlas Number 5507018189
Marker Title St. John the Baptizer Catholic Church
Index Entry St. John the Baptizer Catholic Church
Address 1801 Irvin St.
City Bridgeport
County Wise
UTM Zone
UTM Easting
UTM Northing
Subject Codes ecclesiastical buildings; Roman Catholic denomination; church
Marker Year 2015
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark No
Marker Location To be located on church property at 1801 Irvin St., Bridgeport, Texas 76426--to be placed at the sidewalk near the main church entrance.
Private Property No
Marker Condition In Situ
Marker Size 27" x 42" with post
Marker Text In the 1890s, large Catholic communities were established in North Texas. Father J.J. O’Riordan from Henrietta traveled to Bridgeport once a month by train to hold mass, so a mission was established. The mission of St. John the Baptizer was the first Catholic Church established in Wise County. Mass was held in different homes of members until money could be raised to build a church. Records indicate that several collections were made from a variety of community members and businesses, Catholics and non-Catholics. In 1908, a small wooden frame church was built on a small lot on Greathouse Street on the West side of the railroad. In 1926, the church was remodeled and the walls were covered. A new church was constructed on October 1, 1967, due to growing membership. In 1969, St. John’s became part of the new diocese of Fort Worth. Over the years, the church has grown with over 650 families registered. The parishioners work to maintain the family atmosphere that is a tradition at St. John’s with frequent Sunday luncheons, parish picnics and general social activities. Pope John Paul II recognized St. John the Baptizer Church on October 1, 1989, for serving parishioners for 100 years, and in October 2014, Pope Francis recognized the church on its 125th anniversary celebration. St. John the Baptizer Catholic Church has played an important role in the religious heritage of the area and continues to serve the community as one of only three Catholic churches in a two-county area.

Location Map

View this record in full map (opens in new tab/window)