Details for Zion Church of Kurten

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5507017970

Data

Marker Number 17970
Atlas Number 5507017970
Marker Title Zion Church of Kurten
Index Entry Zion Church of Kurten
Address 976 N F.M. 2038
City Kurten
County Brazos
UTM Zone
UTM Easting
UTM Northing
Subject Codes Religion, German
Marker Year 2014
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark No
Marker Location
Private Property No
Marker Condition In Situ
Marker Size 27" x 42" with post
Marker Text Zion Church is the oldest established congregation of its denomination in Brazos County. It was created in the 1890s by some thirteen families, most of German descent, on land donated by German immigrants in the community of Kurten. Zion Evangelical and Reformed Church was established at Kurten in 1892 with Reverend P. Vollbrecht as its first pastor. On April 21, 1895, the congregation was reorganized, adopted a constitution and became a member of the Evangelical Synod of North America. The first building was constructed of rough oak boards at a cost of $225 and was built by members of the congregation under the leadership of Reverend P.J. Franzke. In 1896, the bell was installed. The church building was moved in 1902 from its original location, approximately one mile north and on the east side of the road, to the newly purchased land in Kurten. That tract of land serves today as the site of the parsonage and church buildings. In 1907, Rev. Julius Kasiske became pastor and served for twenty-one years. He organized the orchestra, was responsible for the Kurten telephone company, the community water well and the Kasiske Creamery. In 1910, the church building doubled in size when a new wing and steeple were built. The sanctuary stood until 1942 when it was demolished and a new building was erected, which is still in use today. Since then, a new parish hall has been built and a family center erected which has become a focal point for church and community activities. In 2008, the congregation joined the Evangelical Free church of America, and a new family ministry building was added in 2014.

Location Map

View this record in full map (opens in new tab/window)