Details for George and Myra Wilson

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5507017958

Data

Marker Number 17958
Atlas Number 5507017958
Marker Title George and Myra Wilson
Index Entry Wilson, George and Myra
Address 416 N. Jackson
City Sulphur Springs
County Hopkins
UTM Zone
UTM Easting
UTM Northing
Subject Codes women
Marker Year 2014
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark No
Marker Location Intersection of Houston Street and Jackson Street
Private Property No
Marker Condition In Situ
Marker Size 18" x 28" with post
Marker Text Only about a year after they met in 1880, George and Myra (Tuggle) Wilson married and began changing their small town into a bustling city. George and his brother opened a brick plant and were hired to build many prominent buildings such as the City National Bank building, First Baptist Church, Cumby High School, Sulphur Springs City Hall and the Freestone, Llano and Titus County Courthouses. Myra was a charter member of the Joseph Wheeler Chapter of the United Daughters of the Confederacy, was President of the Ladies’ Cemetery Society for 43 years and raised funding for a cemetery chapel. Both were involved with the public library. The efforts of the Wilsons and others like them paved the way for cultural change in the once-frontier State of Texas.

Location Map

View this record in full map (opens in new tab/window)