Details for First United Methodist Church of Hebbronville

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5507017305

Data

Marker Number 17305
Atlas Number 5507017305
Marker Title First United Methodist Church of Hebbronville
Index Entry First United Methodist Church of Hebbronville
Address 211 W. Viggie
City Hebbronville
County Jim Hogg
UTM Zone
UTM Easting
UTM Northing
Subject Codes churches, religion, methodist denomination
Marker Year 2012
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark No
Marker Location cross streets between N. Maria and N. Frans Ave.
Private Property No
Marker Condition In Situ
Marker Size 18" x 28"
Marker Text THE FIRST UNITED METHODIST CHURCH OF HEBBRONVILLE WAS ESTABLISHED AT A MEETING BETWEEN REV. C.W. PERKINS AND SIX TOWNSPEOPLE AT MRS. RALPH McCAMPBELL’S RANCH ON DECEMBER 12, 1912. FOR 15 YEARS, SERVICES WERE HELD IN COOPERATION WITH THE LOCAL BAPTIST CHURCH IN A SCHOOLHOUSE ON SMITH STREET. IN 1917, MR. AND MRS. HENRY EDDS PURCHASED THREE LOTS FROM VIGGO KOEHLER AND DONATED THE LAND TO THE METHODIST AND BAPTIST CHURCHES. A CHURCH BUILDING WAS COMPLETED ON THE PROPERTY IN 1927 AND THE W.W. JONES EDUCATIONAL BUILDING WAS ADDED IN 1950. FOR 100 YEARS, THE FIRST UNITED METHODIST CHURCH HAS SERVED THE CITIZENS OF HEBBRONVILLE AND CONTINUES TO BE A BEACON OF LIGHT FOR THE COMMUNITY.

Location Map

View this record in full map (opens in new tab/window)