Details for Magnolia Missionary Baptist Church

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5507017280

Data

Marker Number 17280
Atlas Number 5507017280
Marker Title Magnolia Missionary Baptist Church
Index Entry Magnolia Missionary Baptist Church
Address 2830 Pine Street
City Beaumont
County Jefferson
UTM Zone
UTM Easting
UTM Northing
Subject Codes Churches, Baptist
Marker Year 2012
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark No
Marker Location On the church grounds at 2830 Pine Street
Private Property No
Marker Condition In Situ
Marker Size 27" x 42"
Marker Text This historic congregation began in November 1890 with a group of Christians holding services in a schoolhouse. Worship extended to prayer meetings held in various homes. Eventually the congregation purchased land at the corner of Pine and Prince Streets and established Evergreen Baptist Church with Rev. Dickerson called as the first pastor. In 1900, under Rev. Jack Rhone, the name was changed to Magnolia Baptist Church. Property for the current location was purchased in 1925 during the term of Rev. Jim Alford. Rev. Rhone served for a second term, during which the first sanctuary was completed. Rev. Ed Cannon, Rev. C. B. Baily, and Rev. D. C. Coney followed as pastors. Under Rev. Coney, a new education building was dedicated on December 4, 1965. As church membership continued to grow, a new sanctuary was completed and dedicated on September 6, 1981. The church’s name was changed to Magnolia Missionary Baptist Church on April 30, 1995. The current sanctuary was dedicated on May 15, 2011. Magnolia Missionary Baptist Church has supported missionary enterprises, home mission, Christian education and foreign missions. Through these efforts, the church has impacted its community, state, and nation, as well as reaching Haiti and Africa. The church supports local missions through its giving recovering addicts/others a changed environment, feeding the homeless, local nursing homes, prayer and family ministries. Since its inception, Magnolia Missionary Baptist Church of Beaumont has been a light and beacon for all. The church’s motto, based on 1 Corinthians 2:2, is “Jesus Christ only, always.”

Location Map

View this record in full map (opens in new tab/window)