Details for Globe Hill Community and Baptist Church

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5507017199

Data

Marker Number 17199
Atlas Number 5507017199
Marker Title Globe Hill Community and Baptist Church
Index Entry Globe Hill Community and Baptist Church
Address 4083 CR 133
City Giddings
County Lee
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 707707
UTM Northing 3341737
Subject Codes communities; ; schools; churches; Baptist denomination; African American topics
Marker Year 2012
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark No
Marker Location Globe Hill Baptist Church, SW side CR 133, 2.0 mi. NW of FM 180
Private Property No
Marker Condition In Situ
Marker Size 27" x 42"
Marker Text George Coleman Truitt, founder of this predominantly African American community, bought land in the area and built at least nine box houses for his tenant farmers. Truitt also ran the community’s only business, a general store. In 1887, Truitt and Simon P. Davis selected a school site on a rocky promontory called Rocky Hill, for which Truitt named the community. He later renamed it Globe Hill. Truitt donated the land for the school and later provided the site for the cemetery. The schoolhouse, completed in November 1887, was also used for church services. The first teacher was Julia Donovan. In the spring of 1889, it was enlarged to accommodate the growing student population. By 1908, students from Jones Colony and the Joseph and Margaret Dockery settlement began transferring to the Globe Hill school and enrollment increased to forty-six students. The school was replaced in the early 1920s with a four-room Rosenwald School which was later annexed and moved to the Post Oak School in 1954. The Globe Hill Baptist Church was formed and organized by the community in 1912. An educator and reverend, Frank Ruffin, became the first pastor of the church. Under his leadership, the congregation grew to more than 96 members, with up to 200 attending at different times. Reverend Ruffin served the church until he passed away in 1939. A women’s mission was established that visited and cared for the needy and sick in the community. In the 1960s, the church was remodeled. Most of the community has left but former residents return each year for the church’s annual celebrations. (2012)

Location Map

View this record in full map (opens in new tab/window)