Details for Mineral Springs Primitive Baptist Church

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5507017024

Data

Marker Number 17024
Atlas Number 5507017024
Marker Title Mineral Springs Primitive Baptist Church
Index Entry Mineral Springs Primitive Baptist Church
Address 1104 Hereford St.
City Glen Rose
County Somervell
UTM Zone
UTM Easting
UTM Northing
Subject Codes churches; Baptist denomination
Marker Year 2011
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark No
Marker Location
Private Property No
Marker Condition In Situ
Marker Size 18" x 28"
Marker Text On Sunday, May 30, 1886, Elder Wilson Hufner and W. L. Rogers founded this church in nearby Post Oak. Charter members were J. O. Soap, his wife, Rebecca, and Mrs. Fannie May. The church first joined the Village Creek Association, but in 1899 joined 15 other area churches to form the Duffau Association, the largest Primitive Baptist Church Association in Texas. A church house built in Post Oak in 1906 was moved to this site ca. 1920. In 1948, the Roden family donated eight acres to the Duffau Association. Beginning in 1955, Elder Berley Welch and his wife, Treasure, of Wichita Falls founded the Texas Youth Camp and held summer camps here. The present sanctuary was moved here in 1960.

Location Map

View this record in full map (opens in new tab/window)