Details for First Presbyterian Church of Lockhart

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5507016772

Data

Marker Number 16772
Atlas Number 5507016772
Marker Title First Presbyterian Church of Lockhart
Index Entry First Presbyterian Church of Lockhart
Address 120 N. Commerce St.
City Lockhart
County Caldwell
UTM Zone
UTM Easting
UTM Northing
Subject Codes churches; Baptist denomination
Marker Year 2011
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark No
Marker Location
Private Property No
Marker Condition In Situ
Marker Size 18" x 28"
Marker Text In 1849, Rev. N. P. Charlot appointed D. M. Morris and Col. John T. Storey as elders of first Presbyterian Church, which organized with ten members. Early services were held in members’ homes and the masonic hall before church elders bought this site in 1854. A concrete church building was completed the next year. An 1879 cyclone destroyed that building, replaced by another in 1880 and the current sanctuary in 1914. Long-serving pastors include R. A. Mccurdy (1911-23) and Dr. Samuel L. Joekel (1930-54). The Presbyterian Life Center hosts church events and community activities. Today, one of the oldest churches in the city continues to aid its neighbors and the world through service and outreach.

Location Map

View this record in full map (opens in new tab/window)