Details for Site of the Alma Male and Female Institute

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5507015153

Data

Marker Number 15153
Atlas Number 5507015153
Marker Title Site of the Alma Male and Female Institute
Index Entry Alma Male and Female Institute, Site of
Address E. Third St.
City Hallettsville
County Lavaca
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 699712
UTM Northing 3259056
Subject Codes schools; educational topics; women's topics; hospitals; cities and towns
Marker Year 2003
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark No
Marker Location E. Third St., N side between S. Texana and Alma streets
Private Property No
Marker Condition In Situ
Marker Size 27" x 42"
Marker Text As early as the 1840s, area residents could send their children to the few small private schools available. In 1852, when Hallettsville was chosen as Lavaca County seat, the town founder, Margaret Hallett, donated land for the town site, county courthouse, a church and a school. A joint stock company established the Alma Female Institute on the school property, located on this site. The private school included classrooms, a dormitory and a music room, contained in a two-story wooden building constructed by J.W. Layton. Mason and Methodist minister C.L. Spencer served as the institutes first principal, and the first session ran from May through October 1853. The state legislature granted the schools charter the following year. With a curriculum based on classical liberal arts education, the institute over the years offered instruction in ancient languages, literature and mathematics, natural science and music. The classes were extended to male students, and the school was known as the Alma Male and Female Institute. Sometime during the Civil War, 1861-1865, the school closed due to funding and mismanagement problems. In 1865, Mary Jane Ballard, daughter of Margaret Hallett, bought the property and lived here for several years before selling it to William Appelt. He leased the old school building for use as a hotel before tearing it down in 1888 and constructing a family home. Dr. C.T. Dufner later bought the Appelt House and used it as a hospital; it was razed in 1961. Today the site is a reminder of early efforts to educate the children of Hallettsville in the years before Texas' public education system. (2003)

Location Map

View this record in full map (opens in new tab/window)