||George W. Littlefield (1842 – 1920) came to Texas with his family in 1850. He served in the Civil War with Terry’s Texas Rangers, attaining the rank of Major. Following the war, he became a cattleman and acquired ranches in New Mexico and the Texas panhandle. He came to Austin in 1883 and engaged in banking. A regent of the University of Texas, 1911 – 1920, he contributed funds for new buildings, study grants, and library collections. Littlefield built this Victorian residence in 1894. Designed by James W. Wahrenberger, the house was bequeathed to the University in 1935.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1962