||F.M. Phipps and G.S. Layton opened the Palace Theater in 1926. The theater suffered two fires, the second burning it to the ground in 1936. Phipps' widow, Mable, and Layton's son G.R. hired W. Scott Dunne of Dallas to design a new moviehouse at the site. Built by H.J. Naylor, the Palace reopened in February 1937, and the Palace Barber Shop and City Newsstand also operated from the building. The theater closed in the 1980s. The building's Art Moderne architectural features, including zigzag patterning, and the theater's history are significant reminders of 20th-century Childress.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2005