Details for Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5469006573

Data

Marker Number 6573
Atlas Number 5469006573
Marker Title Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church
Index Entry Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church
Address 106 N. De Leon St.
City Victoria
County Victoria
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 694999
UTM Northing 3187258
Subject Codes Lutheran denomination; German immigrants/immigration; churches
Marker Year 1981
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark No
Marker Location
Private Property No
Marker Condition In Situ
Marker Size 27" x 42"
Marker Text German immigrants of the Victoria area began holding Lutheran worship sevices in private homes as early as the 1840s. The organizational meeting for this church, the first Lutheran congregation in the county, was conducted on December 14, 1851. Under the leadership of the Rev. William Strobel, the members raised funds for the operation of the new parish. In a charter meeting the following year the congregation was formally established as the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Victoria. The name was changed in the 1860s, during the pastorate of the Rev. Ulrich Berner. Active in area service, the church has sponsored missions in the nearby communities of Coletoville, Inez, and Tivoli. In addition, members also supported the Indianola ministry of the Rev. Frederick Flath. Other programs have included a school which closed in 1895, the Ladies Aid Society, now the Lutheran Church Women, and the Lutheran Brotherhood. All worship services were conducted in the German language until 1914 when English was first used on a limited basis. Additional buildings at this site were constructed later for the church, which has remained a significant area institution since the 1850s. (1981) 1981

Location Map

View this record in full map (opens in new tab/window)