Details for Palestine Missionary Baptist Church

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5469003916

Data

Marker Number 3916
Atlas Number 5469003916
Marker Title Palestine Missionary Baptist Church
Index Entry Palestine Missionary Baptist Church
Address 608 E. Convent Street
City Victoria
County Victoria
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 694988
UTM Northing 3186827
Subject Codes African American topics; Baptist denomination; churches
Marker Year 1991
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark No
Marker Location
Private Property No
Marker Condition In Situ
Marker Size 27" x 42"
Marker Text Twenty-one former slaves gathered together at the corner of Convent and Depot streets on June 27, 1868, and formally organized the First Colored Baptist Church in Victoria County. It was renamed Palestine Missionary Baptist Church on September 11, 1868. That same month property was conveyed for the town's first freedmen's school, named Brauns Colored School. Early Baptist worship services were held in Brauns school and at Frazier Colored Methodist School at the corner of Convent and River Streets. Under the leadership of the Rev. Mitchell Harrison, the members of Palestine Missionary Baptist Church built their first sanctuary between 1871 and 1873. It was replaced in 1886 with a larger structure built on the corner of Convent and Navarro Streets. A new brick church building was erected at the corner of Convent and Depot streets in 1953. Throughout its history, this church has maintained programs with an emphasis on educational, social, civic, and missionary responsibilities. Members of the church have played an important role in community activities, and over the years four additional congregations were formed from the Palestine Missionary Baptist Church fellowship. (1991)

Location Map

View this record in full map (opens in new tab/window)