Details for Primrose-Sexton Community

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5467012265

Data

Marker Number 12265
Atlas Number 5467012265
Marker Title Primrose-Sexton Community
Index Entry Primrose-Sexton Community
Address
City Van
County Van Zandt
UTM Zone
UTM Easting
UTM Northing
Subject Codes cities and towns; courthouses
Marker Year 1998
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark No
Marker Location FM 314, 5.5 mi. S of Van
Private Property No
Marker Condition In Situ
Marker Size 27" x 42"
Marker Text Thomas Horsley received much of the land in this area from the state of Texas in 1847, and settlers began to arrive in the 1850s. Johnson Watts and his family came in 1858 and bought 820 acres of Horsley land. B. H. Denson, his family and 30 slaves moved to the area in 1859 and bought 1,890 acres. The Sexton community developed on the Denson and adjoining Watts land. By 1866, when Denson sold land to John M. Williams, the deed excluded three acres for "Shilo Meeting House," believed to have been the area's first church and school. In the 1880s, Littleton Davidson and his family built a cotton gin, attracting more settlers. The one-room log New Harmony Church-School building east of Shilo Meeting House was in operation by 1880. It was east of and across the road from the cemetery. The first grave in the New Harmony Cemetery was that of James A. Fulgham, who died at age two in 1880. The New Harmony school closed in the late 1890s. Fern and Ann Williams and Al Sexton conveyed two acres for the Sexton community school in 1899. The school grew rapidly. A federal post office was established in 1902 in Davidson's store under the name "Primrose," so residents called the community both Primrose and Sexton. J. D. Johns and his wife conveyed two acres for the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, in 1904, establishing the Sexton Chapel Church. The post office closed in 1910. In 1912 Al Sexton formally deeded two acres for the cemetery. A larger schoolhouse was built in 1914. It served the community until consolidation with the Van Independent School District in 1938. (2000)

Location Map

View this record in full map (opens in new tab/window)