Details for Phalba

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5467012263

Data

Marker Number 12263
Atlas Number 5467012263
Marker Title Phalba
Index Entry Phalba
Address
City Phalba
County Van Zandt
UTM Zone
UTM Easting
UTM Northing
Subject Codes cities and towns; water topics
Marker Year 1999
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark No
Marker Location SH 198 at Phalba Community Center
Private Property No
Marker Condition In Situ
Marker Size 18" x 28"
Marker Text This community was first called Snider Springs for John Snider who bought the land on which the springs were situated in 1853. A road, later designated State Highway 198, opened from Canton to Snider Springs in 1858, and the town soon boasted several businesses. Citizens changed the town name to Phalba after the daughter of a local gin owner because another Texas postal station was already called Snider Springs. During the Depression, the Works Progress Administration opened a cannery for local and charitable uses. It used the water from the springs for five steam-operated canners. Though it suffered neglect in the years following World War II, the rural farming and ranching area of Phalba continues as a thriving small community. (1999) Incise on base: Historian Donald and Annette Plemmons

Location Map

View this record in full map (opens in new tab/window)