| Marker Number |
11783 |
| Atlas Number |
5453011783 |
| Marker Title |
Original Site of First Methodist Church of Austin |
| Index Entry |
First Methodist Church of Austin, Original Site of |
| Address |
|
| City |
Austin |
| County |
Travis |
| UTM Zone |
|
| UTM Easting |
|
| UTM Northing |
|
| Subject Codes |
churches; Methodist (Methodist Episcopal and United Methodist) denomination |
| Marker Year |
1978 |
| Recorded Texas Historic Landmark |
No |
| Marker Location |
Northeast corner of Congress Ave. and Fourth St., Austin |
| Private Property |
No |
| Marker Condition |
In Situ |
| Marker Size |
18" x 28" |
| Marker Text |
Established in 1840 by the Rev. John Haynie (1786-1860), the First Methodist Church was Austin's second Protestant congregation. Services were held in temporary quarters until members erected their first meeting house in 1847 at this site, then the corner of Cedar Street and Congress Avenue. The Rev. Homer S. Thrall (1819-1894) was pastor when the small frame church was built. Thirty-five doctors from around the state met here January 17-19, 1853, to organize the Texas Medical Association. In 1854 the Methodists moved to a new brick church on the corner of Brazos and Mulberry (now 10th) Street. (1978) |