Details for Town of Buffalo Gap (Atlas Number 5441005523)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5441005523

Data

Marker Number 5523
Atlas Number 5441005523
Marker Title Town of Buffalo Gap
Index Entry Buffalo Gap, Town of
Address West and Vine St.
City Buffalo Gap
County Taylor
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 421989
UTM Northing 3572112
Subject Codes cities and towns
Marker Year 1968
Designations
Marker Location Old Settlers Reunion grounds, corner of West & Vine Streets, Buffalo Gap
Marker Size 18" x 28"
Marker Text Probably named for the pass in Callahan Divide (mountains) crossed by thousands of buffalo that once inhabited this area. Besides providing the native Apache and Comanche Indians with food, buffaloes drew the first white hunters here, about 1874. First homes in present town were dugouts of buffalo hunters. The community began to grow in 1878 when it was named county seat and was located on the western cattle trail. In 1883, however, the new railroad town of Abilene became county seat and Buffalo Gap, like so many small Texas towns, lost prestige.