|| This site was set aside for use as a school by Stoddard Johnston, a newspaperman who platted the town of Abilene in the early 1880s. While the first schoolhouse was under construction in the spring of 1881, classes were held in a tent pitched between Hickory and Cedar streets. As was typical in early frontier towns, the schoolhouse also served as a community center and was used for church worship services. By 1884, the student population had outgrown the schoolhouse, and a new structure was built elsewhere. This site is a reminder of Abilene's early education history.
Texas Sesquicentennial 1836-1986