Details for Site of Old Headquarters of the Hashknife Ranch

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5441002403

Data

Marker Number 2403
Atlas Number 5441002403
Marker Title Site of Old Headquarters of the Hashknife Ranch
Index Entry Hashknife Ranch, Site of the Old Headquarters of the
Address 500 E Ambler Ave
City Abilene
County Taylor
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 432138
UTM Northing 3592748
Subject Codes ranches/ranching; railroads; cattle, cattle industry topics
Marker Year 2007
Designations
Marker Location Will Hair Park. Replaced 1968 marker.
Marker Size 18" x 28"
Marker Text (on hill east of Cedar Creek) In December 1880, H.C. Whithers of the Texas & Pacific Railroad met local men here to decide on a site for a cattle shipping center. Bypassing the county seat of Buffalo Gap, the railroad platted a new town named Abilene for the famous cattle town in Kansas. Cattlemen meeting with Whithers were Dallas banker and Hashknife Ranch co-owner John N. Simpson, and Confederate Colonels Claiborne W. (Clabe) and J.D. Merchant, twin brothers and ranchers who moved to Callahan County six years earlier. Brisk bidding ensued at a sale of city lots in March 1881. Abilene grew quickly and became a significant regional city of west Texas. (1968, 2007)
ATLAS_NUM=5441002403

Location Map