Details for George's Creek Baptist Church

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5425013205

Data

Marker Number 13205
Atlas Number 5425013205
Marker Title George's Creek Baptist Church
Index Entry George's Creek Baptist Church
Address CR 308
City Glen Rose
County Somervell
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 628265
UTM Northing 3573828
Subject Codes Baptist denomination; churches
Marker Year 2004
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark No
Marker Location E of Glen Rose on US 67, then N on CR 308 to George's Creek, almost to the intersection with CR 2174
Private Property No
Marker Condition In Situ
Marker Size 27" x 42"
Marker Text The history of the George's Creek community can be traced to two men who passed through the area on an 1841 expedition from the Republic of Texas to Santa Fe, New Mexico. The men, George Barnard and Thomas Torrey, later acquired land in the vicinity. Barnard and his brother established a trading post called Barnardville, which was later renamed Fort Spunky. By 1885, many additional families had arrived in the area, establishing farms, businesses and churches, including Cumberland Presbyterian, Methodist and Baptist congregations. Records indicate two active Baptist churches in George's Creek community in the 1880s: Good Hope and George's Creek. A third Baptist church, Buck Creek, formed near the Nemo community in the early 1890s. In its early years, George's Creek Baptist Church, established in 1885, shared a pastor with the Good Hope congregation. They also shared space with other churches, meeting in the Methodist church building, in schoolhouses, and under brush arbors and tents. In 1905, the church reorganized, and members constructed a tabernacle at the cemetery in 1908. There, they held services and revivals, as well as meetings. They later moved into a sanctuary, which they continue to use today, built by the Holiness Church in 1915. Although records for certain time periods are scarce, the known history of George's Creek Baptist Church indicates more than a century of dedicated worship. Even in times without regular pastors, the congregation maintained a strong Sunday School program. The membership has changed along with the area population, but the church continues to be a spiritual and social center for the community it serves. (2005)

Location Map

View this record in full map (opens in new tab/window)