Details for Tennessee Presbyterian Church

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5419007698

Data

Marker Number 7698
Atlas Number 5419007698
Marker Title Tennessee Presbyterian Church
Index Entry
Address
City Timpson
County Shelby
UTM Zone 15
UTM Easting 366249
UTM Northing 3551104
Subject Codes churches
Marker Year 1986
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark No
Marker Location FM 947 about 7 mi. east of Timpson
Private Property No
Marker Condition In Situ
Marker Size 27" x 42"
Marker Text Organized in 1857, this church was originally known as Mount Carmel. It was the first Presbyterian congregation established in Shelby County. A one-room log cabin served as a meeting place until a large two-story frame building was constructed in 1877. It was used by the Presbyterian, Methodist, and Baptist churches in the Tennessee community. The building also served as the public schoolhouse and as the lodge hall for the Woodmen of the World. Tennessee Presbyterian Church built its own sanctuary at this site in 1914, and it served the congregation until a new structure was built and dedicated in 1957. The earliest church roll dates from 1858 and lists E. T. Corley, Charley H. Corley, Mary Pitman, Mary Watts, R. R. Johnson, Martha Ann Johnson, and John F. Ramsey as members. Some of the early settlers of the community attended church here. The congregation first was served by circuit riders, but in 1866 the Rev. Mitchell Smith became its first full-time pastor. Over the years, Tennessee Presbyterian Church has continued to uphold the ideals and traditions of its founders. As one of the oldest organizations in Shelby County, it is an important part of the heritage of the area. Texas Sesquicentennial 1836 - 1986

Location Map

View this record in full map (opens in new tab/window)