Details for Site of First Presbyterian Church of Fluvanna

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5415004788

Data

Marker Number 4788
Atlas Number 5415004788
Marker Title Site of First Presbyterian Church of Fluvanna
Index Entry First Presbyterian Church of Fluvanna
Address Oak St.
City Fluvanna
County Scurry
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 299534
UTM Northing 3640464
Subject Codes churches; Presbyterian denomination
Marker Year 1977
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark No
Marker Location Oak Street, E side between 11th Street (FM 2214) and 12th Street near old high school. Marker reported missing Jul. 2024.
Private Property No
Marker Condition Missing
Marker Size 18" x 28"
Marker Text A vital religious and social institution for early settlers, this church was founded in 1893 by The Rev. W.W. Werner as Deep Creek Congregation. Worshipers met at Jumbo Ranch Schoolhouse. (1.5 mi. E) until 1902, then occupied the school building at Light (1 mi. E). Residents of Light relocated along the railroad in Fluvanna in 1909, and the membership became the First Presbyterian Church of Fluvanna. Services continued in the Light Schoolhouse, which was moved to this site in 1910. The congregation disbanded in 1975. (1977)

Location Map

View this record in full map (opens in new tab/window)