Details for First United Methodist Church of Henderson
Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5401010996
Data
| Marker Number | 10996 |
| Atlas Number | 5401010996 |
| Marker Title | First United Methodist Church of Henderson |
| Index Entry | First United Methodist Church of Henderson |
| Address | 204 N. Marshall |
| City | Henderson |
| County | Rusk |
| UTM Zone | 15 |
| UTM Easting | 330378 |
| UTM Northing | 3558979 |
| Subject Codes | churches; Methodist (Methodist Episcopal and United Methodist) denomination |
| Marker Year | 1985 |
| Recorded Texas Historic Landmark | No |
| Marker Location | |
| Private Property | No |
| Marker Condition | In Situ |
| Marker Size | 18" x 28" |
| Marker Text | This congregation was organized by the Rev. Preston W. Hobbs in 1842, one year before Rusk County was created, as part of the Shawnee mission. That appointment was renamed Henderson in 1843, when the Rev. Orin Hatch was appointed pastor. Other ministers have included prominent circuit rider William Craig, and J. W. Fields, who helped establish a Methodist school, the Fowler Institute, in 1850. Throughout its history which dates back to the days of the Republic of Texas, First United Methodist Church of Henderson has provided community service and leadership. |