Details for Wheelock

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5395011756

Data

Marker Number 11756
Atlas Number 5395011756
Marker Title Wheelock
Index Entry Wheelock
Address FM 391 & FM 46
City Wheelock
County Robertson
UTM Zone
UTM Easting
UTM Northing
Subject Codes cities and towns
Marker Year 1997
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark No
Marker Location corner of State & High
Private Property No
Marker Condition In Situ
Marker Size 18" x 28"
Marker Text Eleazar Louis Ripley Wheelock (1793-1847) came to Texas from Illinois in 1830. A surveyor for Robertson's colony, he established a town on his land along the Old San Antonio Road. Named Wheelock in 1837, the town boasted twenty businesses by the 1840s, including general stores, land and freight offices, and a cotton gin. By 1845 Wheelock was a transportation hub in Central Texas. A post office was established in 1846, and the town was Robertson County Seat from 1850 to 1856. Bypassed by the railroad in the 1860s, Wheelock declined; many of its citizens moved to Hearne. (1997)

Location Map

View this record in full map (opens in new tab/window)