Details for Old Camp Hospital (Atlas Number 5389003699)

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5389003699

Data

Marker Number 3699
Atlas Number 5389003699
Marker Title Old Camp Hospital
Index Entry Camp Hospital, Old
Address 1703 W. 4th
City Pecos
County Reeves
UTM Zone 13
UTM Easting 641522
UTM Northing 3477019
Subject Codes hospitals; medical topics and health professionals
Marker Year 1966
Designations Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location corner of 4th and Ross Sts.
Marker Size Medallion & Plate
Marker Text First permanent hospital in the Trans-Pecos area. Erected 1929 by pioneer physician and surgeon, Jim Camp, M.D. -- "Texas Doctor of the year" for 1950. "Dr. Jim" came to Pecos in 1900. In early days, he performed many operations using kitchen tables and other makeshift equipment. During 64 years of service, he strove to improve facilities, one of his goals being to build and to equip a modern hospital. Converted to office use 1954. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1966.