| Marker Number |
3921 |
| Atlas Number |
5363003921 |
| Marker Title |
Palo Pinto Methodist Church |
| Index Entry |
Palo Pinto Methodist Church |
| Address |
|
| City |
Palo Pinto |
| County |
Palo Pinto |
| UTM Zone |
14 |
| UTM Easting |
565780 |
| UTM Northing |
3625700 |
| Subject Codes |
Methodist (Methodist Episcopal and United Methodist) denomination; churches |
| Marker Year |
1994 |
| Recorded Texas Historic Landmark |
No |
| Marker Location |
419 Oak Street, Palo Pinto |
| Private Property |
No |
| Marker Condition |
In Situ |
| Marker Size |
18" x 28" |
| Marker Text |
Methodist services in this area began about 1859, when the Rev. Matt Williams, a circuit-riding minister, helped organize this congregation. A church building was erected that year, and in 1866 the Rev. Melton Jones was appointed to the Palo Pinto Mission. The Methodists shared a structure built in 1885 with other denominations. A new Methodist sanctuary was built in 1936. Additional facilities were later built for educational and social activities. A part of Palo Pinto history for more than a century, this church remains an integral part of the community. (1994) |