Details for Trout Creek Missionary Baptist Church

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5351012962

Data

Marker Number 12962
Atlas Number 5351012962
Marker Title Trout Creek Missionary Baptist Church
Index Entry Trout Creek Missionary Baptist Church
Address US 87
City Newton
County Newton
UTM Zone 15
UTM Easting 422350
UTM Northing 3387217
Subject Codes Baptist denomination; churches
Marker Year 2002
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark No
Marker Location 18 mi. S on US 87, then W 0.2 mi. (Trout Creek Community)
Private Property No
Marker Condition In Situ
Marker Size 27" x 42"
Marker Text Trout Creek Missionary Baptist Church Local oral tradition holds that the Trout Creek Missionary Baptist Church was organized in 1876. An early church building had that year inscribed on it, and the congregation celebrated its centennial in 1976. The earliest church files date to 1899, with no record of the organization date or charter members. The congregation worshiped for several years in a community building, used as a school, community center and worship place for area Baptists, Congregational Methodists and Pentecostals. The Baptist congregation later bought the building and site, and constructed a new sanctuary in 1956. In 1958, the church held its first full-time services with its first full-time pastor. Until that time, early church pastors had been missionaries with the Bethlehem Missionary Baptist Association and Missionary Baptist Association of Texas, or part-time preachers employed by the congregation. During its first several decades, the church was served by several preachers and lay leaders. One important figure was elder Johnny Bean (d. 1957), a deacon and licensed minister. "Uncle Johnny" led Sunday School classes and held singing classes for the children, acting as Sunday School superintendent, teacher, song director. He also served as treasurer and assisted with baptisms, which took place in the spring-fed waters of nearby Trout Creek until a baptistery was built in the late 1960s. The Trout Creek congregation has shown dedication to missionary work. The Ladies Auxiliary group has ministered to those in need of food, care and aid, and youth programs have included Bible studies, camps, field trips and service activities. The church today donates heavily to the service programs of its affiliate associations and continues to grow in membership and in strength. (2003)

Location Map

View this record in full map (opens in new tab/window)