| Marker Number |
11114 |
| Atlas Number |
5351011114 |
| Marker Title |
First Baptist Church of Newton |
| Index Entry |
First Baptist Church of Newton |
| Address |
|
| City |
Newton |
| County |
Newton |
| UTM Zone |
|
| UTM Easting |
|
| UTM Northing |
|
| Subject Codes |
Baptist denomination; churches |
| Marker Year |
1986 |
| Recorded Texas Historic Landmark |
No |
| Marker Location |
|
| Private Property |
No |
| Marker Condition |
In Situ |
| Marker Size |
18" x 28" |
| Marker Text |
The earliest record of this congregation dates to 1861, when the Newton Baptist Church with a membership of about 35 was accepted into the Bethlehem Association. The first known pastor was the Rev. R. F. Fancher. Baptisms were held in Caney Creek. The fellowship built its first sanctuary about 1882 near the corner of Court and Rusk streets, but has worshiped at the present site since 1949. The name First Baptist Church was adopted in 1915. The congregation is a significant part of the religious heritage of Newton County. Texas Sesquicentennial 1836-1986 |