Details for The University Tradition in Nacogdoches

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5347012108

Data

Marker Number 12108
Atlas Number 5347012108
Marker Title The University Tradition in Nacogdoches
Index Entry University Tradition in Nacogdoches, The
Address 1936 North St.
City Nacogdoches
County Nacogdoches
UTM Zone
UTM Easting
UTM Northing
Subject Codes educational topics
Marker Year 1999
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark No
Marker Location SFASU campusbetween Austin & Rusk buildings
Private Property No
Marker Condition In Situ
Marker Size 27" x 42"
Marker Text The Spanish friars who built the Mission of Our Lady of Nacogdoches passed to the townspeople a sense of scholarship and educational responsibility. Prominent citizens such as Sam Houston and Thomas J. Rusk were well known for their attention to education. Town citizens pursued the establishment of a university in the 1840s. The Republic of Texas granted a charter for a school in February 1845. Nacogdoches University was a preparatory school with some college subjects included in the curriculum. Townspeople gave money, materials, land and labor to support the school and secure for their children the best education possible. The school moved into its permanent home on Washington Square in 1858. Hard times began with the Civil War; later, several entities operated the institution, including the Catholic church, local Masons, and Keachi College of Louisiana. In 1904, the trustees deeded the campus to the newly created public school district of Nacogdoches. Citizens began a movement in 1906 to lobby for the formation of a new college. This culminated in the first, although ultimately unsuccessful, attempt to establish an east Texas normal school in 1915. When legislation in 1917 called for a college "east of the 96th meridian," Nacogdoches organized a citizens' committee. A pamphlet entitled "twenty-three reasons why Stephen F. Austin State Normal College ought to be located at Nacogdoches..." stated their case. As they had 70 years earlier, the people of Nacogdoches lobbied heavily for the new college, pledging 208 acres of land, 250 students, paved streets, and free electricity to the institution. When the opening was postponed from the summer of 1923 to the fall, the two recruited students from all of east Texas and even supplied a temporary home for a year -- Washington Square. (1999)

Location Map

View this record in full map (opens in new tab/window)