Details for Site of the First Lamb County Courthouse

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5279004930

Data

Marker Number 4930
Atlas Number 5279004930
Marker Title Site of the First Lamb County Courthouse
Index Entry Lamb County Courthouse, Site of the First
Address Main St.
City OIton
County Lamb
UTM Zone 13
UTM Easting 764075
UTM Northing 3785932
Subject Codes courthouses
Marker Year 1972
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark No
Marker Location SE corner Main St. (FM 168) and 8th St.
Private Property
Marker Condition
Marker Size 18" x 28"
Marker Text Created in 1876, Lamb County was unorganized until it could muster 21 qualified voters, 1908. Citizens donated labor for first 9-room frame courthouse, which served until it burned in 1922. First county officials were: judge, H. R. Miller; commissioners, J. A. Hooper (Precinct No. 1), Claude E. Halsell (No. 2), G. M. Arnett (No. 3), Walter Sullivan (No. 4); sheriff, Herb Dickenson; clerk, George Gallaway; treasurer, Fred Schreier; assessor, Luther Williams. A new courthouse of brick and concrete was built here, 1922-23. After a 1946 election, the county seat was removed to Littlefield. (1972)

Location Map

View this record in full map (opens in new tab/window)