Details for Federated Women's Clubs of Port Arthur

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5245010514

Data

Marker Number 10514
Atlas Number 5245010514
Marker Title Federated Women's Clubs of Port Arthur
Index Entry Federated Women's Clubs of Port Arthur
Address 1924 Lakeshore Dr.
City Port Arthur
County Jefferson
UTM Zone 15
UTM Easting 410857
UTM Northing 3306066
Subject Codes fraternal organizations; women's clubs
Marker Year 1981
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark No
Marker Location
Private Property No
Marker Condition In Situ
Marker Size 27" x 42"
Marker Text The Federated Women's Clubs of Port Arthur is a league of sixteen individual clubs which represent a variety of interests and public service projects. Together, through the organization, they combine their efforts for the betterment of the community. The Federation developed from the Women's Self-improvement Club which was organized with nine charter members in February 1898 at the home of Mrs. W. D. Park. It was originally a literary club, but social services were soon added. In 1910 members interested in music started the Symphony Club. The following year they were joined by the Reading Club in the formation of a department club. In 1914 the Young Women's Culture Club and the Women's Self-Improvement Club joined the organization. Meetings were held in homes until 1915 when the club moved to the Elks' Theater building. After a 1923 fire destroyed clubrooms and furnishings, members began planning for a separate clubhouse at this site, which was completed the following year. Renamed in 1977, the Federated Women's Clubs of Port Arthur has made significant contributions to the city through sponsorship of such programs as civic activities, scholarships, and historic preservation.

Location Map

View this record in full map (opens in new tab/window)