||Twice the property of Beaty family members, this lot was purchased by Thomas Beaty in 1843 and sold in 1851. His grandson, John T. Beaty (1855-1937), acquired the site again in 1888 and erected this 2-story Victorian residence of native pine. A lawyer and a former Jasper County sheriff, Beaty served three terms as state senator from the 14th District, 1901-1906. After Beaty's death, his daughter, Marguerite, and her husband, local druggist J. M. Orton (d. 1942), occupied the house. In 1971 Mrs. Orton (d. 1973) sold it to the city of Jasper, which later restored it.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1976