| Marker Number |
7324 |
| Atlas Number |
5223007324 |
| Marker Title |
St. Philip's Episcopal Church |
| Index Entry |
Saint Philip's Episcopal Church |
| Address |
|
| City |
Sulphur Springs |
| County |
Hopkins |
| UTM Zone |
|
| UTM Easting |
|
| UTM Northing |
|
| Subject Codes |
churches; Episcopal denomination |
| Marker Year |
1978 |
| Recorded Texas Historic Landmark |
No |
| Marker Location |
|
| Private Property |
No |
| Marker Condition |
In Situ |
| Marker Size |
18" x 28" |
| Marker Text |
Episcopal missionaries preached in Sulphur Springs as early as the 1860s. This church was founded in 1872 after Bishop Alexander Gregg and Father Francis R. Starr visited the community. For over 20 years, the small Episcopal congregation worshiped in the Presbyterian Church building. In 1887 C. M. Houston (1809-1896) and his wife Nancy (1823-1890) donated this land for a church site. The original portion of the present church structure was erected about 1895. It was later enlarged and remodeled. |