Details for First United Methodist Church of Sulphur Springs

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5223007309

Data

Marker Number 7309
Atlas Number 5223007309
Marker Title First United Methodist Church of Sulphur Springs
Index Entry First United Methodist Church of Sulphur Springs
Address 301 N. Church St. at Atkins St.
City Sulphur Springs
County Hopkins
UTM Zone 15
UTM Easting 257393
UTM Northing 3669870
Subject Codes churches; Methodist (Methodist Episcopal and United Methodist) denomination
Marker Year 1976
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark No
Marker Location
Private Property No
Marker Condition In Situ
Marker Size 27" x 42"
Marker Text Established in 1850 by the Rev. Pleas B. Bailey, this Methodist congregation erected the first church building in Sulphur Springs about 1852 on a site in the "Spring Lot" which surrounded the town's mineral springs. The property was purchased from Dr. Owen S. Davis, a charter member of the church and founder of the town of Sulphur Springs. The Rev. J. D. Lynch served as the fellowship's first resident pastor. The Methodists shared their original meeting place with the Baptist Church, founded in 1859. Delegates meeting here in 1867 organized the Trinity Conference, which later became the North Texas Conference of the Methodist Church. In 1870 the Methodists sold their building to the Baptists and the newly-formed Christian Church and moved to a larger frame structure on this property, purchased from William J. Johnson. A brick church building was erected here in 1893-1894. It was replaced by the present edifice, the fifth building occupied by this fellowship, constructed in 1917 during the pastorate of the Rev. W. D. Thompson. Active in civic, cultural, and educational activities, this congregation supported Central College, a Methodist institution which operated here, 1886-1895.

Location Map

View this record in full map (opens in new tab/window)