Details for First Presbyterian Church of Sulphur Springs

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5223007308

Data

Marker Number 7308
Atlas Number 5223007308
Marker Title First Presbyterian Church of Sulphur Springs
Index Entry First Presbyterian Church of Sulphur Springs
Address 129 E. College St.
City Sulphur Springs
County Hopkins
UTM Zone 15
UTM Easting 256792
UTM Northing 3669409
Subject Codes philanthropy; churches
Marker Year 1982
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark No
Marker Location
Private Property No
Marker Condition In Situ
Marker Size 18" x 28"
Marker Text Organized in 1852, this church had eight members with Samuel Davidson as the ruling elder. A sanctuary erected jointly by this congregation and the Cumberland Presbyterians on Connally Street burned in 1873. The membership constructed a frame building at this site in July 1882. The Rev. J. C. Crow became the first resident pastor in 1886, and W. P. McDonald, clerk of the session, kept the first records in 1887. In 1890 Mrs. Lena Johnson began the Ladies Missionary Society. The present sanctuary was built in 1920, and an educational facility was added in 1981.

Location Map

View this record in full map (opens in new tab/window)