Details for First Baptist Church of Edcouch

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5215012059

Data

Marker Number 12059
Atlas Number 5215012059
Marker Title First Baptist Church of Edcouch
Index Entry First Baptist Church of Edcouch
Address 931 W. Santa Rosa Ave. (SH 107)
City Edcouch
County Hidalgo
UTM Zone
UTM Easting
UTM Northing
Subject Codes Baptist denomination; churches
Marker Year 1997
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark No
Marker Location
Private Property No
Marker Condition In Situ
Marker Size 18" x 28"
Marker Text Formed from a non-denominational Sunday School organized in 1920, the Los Indios Baptist Church was organized by the Rev. T. F. Kelly and the Rev. M. F. Drury on August 24, 1924. In 1925 the church moved to land adjoining the Adams Tract Gin and then to a site just south of the future Edcouch town site. The church was called Adams Tract Baptist Church until February 1927, when it moved into the newly platted town and became the First Baptist Church of Edcouch. In 1949 the members dedicated a new brick building. Through mission and community service, the First Baptist Church of Edcouch continues the traditions of its founders. (1998)

Location Map

View this record in full map (opens in new tab/window)