|| Harris County was 1861 center for 492 miles of state railroads, with Texas & New Orleans going from here to Orange; Houston & Texas Central to Millican; Houston Tap & Brazoria to Columbia; Buffalo Bayou, Brazos & Colorado to Alleyton; and Galveston, Houston & Henderson to Galveston.
At Hempstead on the H. & T. C., passengers took the Washington County R. R. to Brenham and from there went by stagecoach to Austin, the state capital.
Eastern Texas R. R. went from Beaumont to Sabine Pass; Memphis, El Paso & Phoenix ran 5 miles out of Jefferson; and a "Southern Pacific" went to the Louisiana line from Marshall. Making junction with the San Antonio & Mexican Gulf which ran from Port Lavaca to Victoria was the 15-mile Indianola R. R.
1,000 troops guarded and maintained the T. & N. O. Other troops destroyed 2 lines to prevent their use in possible invasions. War ruined 7 roads, because overtaxed industry could not replace worn tracks, parts or rolling stock. By 1865 only the H. & T. C. and the G. H. & H. still ran trains, and their tracks and rolling stock were much in need of replacement.
The railroads had met the challenge as they have in every war.