Details for Liberty Community and Finney Switch

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5189003081

Data

Marker Number 3081
Atlas Number 5189003081
Marker Title Liberty Community and Finney Switch
Index Entry Liberty Community and Finney Switch
Address
City Plainview
County Hale
UTM Zone
UTM Easting
UTM Northing
Subject Codes cities and towns; railroads
Marker Year 1979
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark No
Marker Location US 87, 4 mi. N of Plainview
Private Property No
Marker Condition In Situ
Marker Size 27" x 42"
Marker Text In 1887 Joseph B. Leach and his brothers, John and Dee, immigrated to this area from Liberty, Kentucky. Joseph filed on a 160-acre homestead and built a half-dugout and sod house and a windmill. The Leach brothers often hauled freight for Plainview merchants. More families arrived in this five-mile square area. By 1892 there were enough children for a schoolhouse to be erected. Methodist and Baptist services and community activities were held in the building. The settlement was called "Liberty" for Joseph Leach's Kentucky home. William R. Finney and his family settled nearby in the early 1900s. When the Santa Fe Railroad from Amarillo to Plainview located a switch in 1906 on Finney's land, the site became "Finney Switch". Soon irrigation wells improved agriculture and dairy farming began. Liberty Schoolhouse was moved in 1912 and in 1920 a four-room brick building was erected south of Finney. About 1925 the first business, a store, opened. The Baptist and Methodist congregations built sanctuaries by 1940. With the consolidation of the Liberty and Plainview Schools in 1948 and changes in farming, the population decreased. 1979

Location Map

View this record in full map (opens in new tab/window)