|About 1851 North Carolina native Dugald McAlpine (1795-1876) moved here to the pioneer community of Wallace's Prairie and purchased a large tract of land. Adjacent to his property and at this location were four burial sites associated with his neighbor's nearby "Alta Vista" (Spanish for Fair View) farm and farmhouse. McAlpine eventually bought Alta Vista and in 1866 his relative, Malcomb McAlpine, was the first of many McAlpines to be buried here. In 1873 the community's name was changed to Whitehall for George White, the postmaster at that time. Before his burial here in 1876, McAlpine fenced an area around the grave sites for use as a family graveyard. In 1886 descendants of McAlpine deeded three acres containing the graveyard for cemetery purposes. Eventually community burials began outside of the fenced McAlpine section on land donated by a Mr. Johnson. Descendants of people buried here organized and formed the Fairview Cemetery Association in 1949; the name of the association was later changed to the Whitehall-Fairview Cemetery Association. Burials here include former slaves, McAlpine family members, area civic leaders, and veterans of wars ranging from the Civil War to the Vietnam Conflict.