Details for First United Methodist Church of Navasota

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5185008575

Data

Marker Number 8575
Atlas Number 5185008575
Marker Title First United Methodist Church of Navasota
Index Entry First United Methodist Church of Navasota
Address
City Navasota
County Grimes
UTM Zone 14
UTM Easting 780251
UTM Northing 3365429
Subject Codes churches; Methodist (Methodist Episcopal and United Methodist) denomination
Marker Year 1984
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark No
Marker Location SW corner of Wood St. and Holland St.; Navasota.
Private Property No
Marker Condition In Situ
Marker Size 27" x 42"
Marker Text The first worship services of the Methodist church in Navasota were held in 1853 in the community schoolhouse. The Rev. T. W. Blake served as part-time pastor for most of the antebellum and Civil War years. In 1866 the Houston & Texas Central Railroad deeded land at this site for use by the Methodist congregation. In that year, a frame building with shuttered windows was constructed for the fellowship. It was named Robert Alexander Chapel in honor of an early Methodist circuit rider in Texas. The chapel was also used by Navasota's Presbyterian congregation. In 1891 a rock building replaced the frame structure and was used until 1912, when a brick sanctuary was built. The current sanctuary was completed in 1959. Although the size of the congregation is relatively small when compared with that of other churches in the area, the First United Methodist Church of Navasota has served as host to the Texas Annual Conference of Methodist Churches. Throughout its history, this congregation has provided significant service and leadership to the community and has continued to uphold the ideals and traditions of its pioneer founders.

Location Map

View this record in full map (opens in new tab/window)