Details for The Presbyterian Church of Gonzales

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5177012612

Data

Marker Number 12612
Atlas Number 5177012612
Marker Title The Presbyterian Church of Gonzales
Index Entry Presbyterian Church of Gonzales, The
Address 414 St. Louis
City Gonzales
County Gonzales
UTM Zone
UTM Easting
UTM Northing
Subject Codes Presbyterian denomination; churches
Marker Year 2002
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark No
Marker Location
Private Property No
Marker Condition In Situ
Marker Size 18" x 28"
Marker Text On February 29, 1852, the Presbyterian Church of Gonzales was constituted with eight charter members, led by the Rev. Joel T. Case. The Rev. John McRae served as the first permanent pastor, and the congregation held worship services once a month in the local Baptist church. In 1875, the Presbyterian church completed its own building, and six years later, members established the first Sunday school with 62 pupils and 13 teachers. A new worship facility, completed in 1925, replaced the 1875 building, and the congregation has expanded its facilities since that time to meet the needs of the congregation's activities. (2002)

Location Map

View this record in full map (opens in new tab/window)