Details for Grange Hall Community

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5161012454

Data

Marker Number 12454
Atlas Number 5161012454
Marker Title Grange Hall Community
Index Entry Grange Hall Community
Address
City Fairfield vicinity
County Freestone
UTM Zone
UTM Easting
UTM Northing
Subject Codes agriculture, general; educational topics; ghost towns
Marker Year 2001
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark No
Marker Location 4 miles north of Fairfield on IH-45, 1.5 miles north on CR 1140
Private Property No
Marker Condition In Situ
Marker Size 27" x 42"
Marker Text Settlement of this community began in the 1850s, about the time the Texas legislature created Freestone County out of Limestone County. Early settlers included the Smith, Claypool, Henderson, Wooldridge, Kennedy, Lemmon, Manahan, Cannon, Carroll, Ward, Freeman, York, Willard, Tate, Baker and Johnson families. They were primarily farming families who became active in the Texas State Grange movement, which began in 1873 with nearby resident Joseph Burton Johnson serving as first master of the statewide organization. Originally known as Pin Oak, the community eventually came to be called Grange Hall. In keeping with its overall mission to offer cooperative farming pursuits, social contacts for farm families and educational opportunities, the Pin Oak Grange acquired three acres of land in 1877 on which the members built a two-story lodge hall and school. They used the upper story of the building for Grange activities, with the lower floor serving as a public school and as a worship space for the Pleasant Grove Baptist Church (organized in 1879). In 1886 the Grange conveyed the land and building to the school trustees for church and school purposes. Soon thereafter the organization became inactive, and about 1908 the upper floor of the Grange hall was removed. After the building burned in 1929, the Pin Oak School joined the Fairfield school district. The building was reconstructed in 1937 and served the Pleasant Grove Baptist Church until the congregation became inactive in the early 1980s. (2001)

Location Map

View this record in full map (opens in new tab/window)