Details for Harrison Chapel

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5161009883

Data

Marker Number 9883
Atlas Number 5161009883
Marker Title Harrison Chapel
Index Entry Harrison Chapel
Address
City Dew
County Freestone
UTM Zone
UTM Easting
UTM Northing
Subject Codes cemetery; Methodist (Methodist Episcopal and United Methodist) denomination; churches
Marker Year 1970
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark No
Marker Location off CR, off FM 489, 6 mi. SE of DEW
Private Property No
Marker Condition In Situ
Marker Size 18" x 28"
Marker Text Organized in 1850s, with twelve members. Site for the Methodist church was given by a pioneer, George Harrison. With influx of settlers, church grew firm in faith, and worked with people from a large surrounding area, through annual camp meetings. The Rev. Horace Bishop, the Rev. A. M. Eubank and the Rev. A. C. Littlepage were noted pastors. Site for cemetery was given by Mr. and Mrs. Vincent Harrison. Many early settlers, including numerous Confederate veterans, are buried here. Heirs gather for annual commemorations. The church moved to Dew in 1870.

Location Map

View this record in full map (opens in new tab/window)