Details for First United Methodist Church of Rusk

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5073006859

Data

Marker Number 6859
Atlas Number 5073006859
Marker Title First United Methodist Church of Rusk
Index Entry First United Methodist Church of Rusk
Address 308 N. Henderson Street
City Rusk
County Cherokee
UTM Zone 15
UTM Easting 296529
UTM Northing 3519587
Subject Codes churches; Methodist (Methodist Episcopal and United Methodist) denomination
Marker Year 1986
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark No
Marker Location 308 N. Henderson Street in Rusk
Private Property No
Marker Condition In Situ
Marker Size 27" x 42"
Marker Text Organized in 1849, this congregation was first served by the Rev. Henderson D. Palmer (1812-1869). A circuit riding minister, Palmer received his license to preach in 1838 in Nacogdoches County. The first deed for the Methodist church property in Rusk was recorded on May 22, 1850. The first church building was erected the following year. A second sanctuary was built in 1896 during the pastorate of the Rev. A. A. Godbey. Those serving on the building committee were E. L. Gregg, J. W. Summers, and J. F. Mallard. The present building was completed in 1920 while the congregation was under the leadership of the Rev. J. W. Goodwin. It was dedicated in 1935, when the building debt was retired. The dedication day was referred to as a great day in the life of the church. All three Methodist sanctuaries have stood on this site. There have also been three parsonages. The first, built in 1879, was replaced by a second home in 1947. Recent additions to the church property were an educational building in 1961 and parsonage in 1981. For over a century, the First United Methodist Church of Rusk has been a vital part of the community. Many descendants of early members continue to be active in the life of the church.

Location Map

View this record in full map (opens in new tab/window)