Details for William Harrison Pitts

Historical Marker — Atlas Number 5063011791

Data

Marker Number 11791
Atlas Number 5063011791
Marker Title William Harrison Pitts
Index Entry Pitts, William Harrison
Address 200 Quitman St.
City Pittsburg
County Camp
UTM Zone
UTM Easting
UTM Northing
Subject Codes cities and towns; pioneers
Marker Year 1999
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark No
Marker Location
Private Property No
Marker Condition In Situ
Marker Size 18" x 28"
Marker Text (1815 - 1898) Born in Georgia to Hardy and Drucilla (Neal) Pitts, William Harrison Pitts moved his plantation household to this area by 1854. He purchased 200 acres and built a home near this site. A settlement began to spring up, and a post office was established with the name "Pittsburg." Pitts acquired more land over the next few years, setting aside 50 acres for the town's development. In 1874, his offer of $50 toward a new courthouse was a deciding factor in the election of Pittsburg as the seat of the newly organized Camp County. The town became a junction of two railroad lines in the late 1870s and by 1880 it had a population of 750. The "Pittsburg Gazette" was first published in 1884. William Harrison Pitts was married four times and had two children. A merchant, civic leader, and veteran of the Creek Indian wars, he died in 1898. (2000)

Location Map

View this record in full map (opens in new tab/window)